From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:51:30 -0800
On 26 Oct 99, at 10:27, Tom Landon wrote:

> I'm looking at the ASUS P2-B MoBo as a possible upgrade. Does
> anyone have any comments on this unit, or, general thoughts about
> ASUS products?

  Note that there are a whole range of P2B boards; the "P2B" is
followed by a dash and additional letters identifying specific
features of the model.

  All of my experience with this line has been with the P2B-DS model;
the "D" indicates that it has TWO CPU slots (I've used this to run NT
Server 4.0, which supports multi-CPU configurations) and the "S"
indicates that it has SCSI -- an Adaptec 7895 controller chip, same
as the AHA-2940U2W -- on-board.
  There are also versions with the letter "L", indicating that an
Ethernet LAN adaptor (equivalent to Intel Pro 10/100) is built in.

  My impression is that the P2B-F model is a later addition to the
line, and so may incorporate revisions not found on older models.
And someone else has already mentioned that ther e is now a P3B model
line....

  For whatever it's worth, my experience with P2B-DS has been
excellent.  I was less impressed with the P2L97 that we evaluated at
one point, but as a result we never subjected that model to heavy
use.  Asus are definitely one of the better brands.

David G

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org