From:
Robert Kupferer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 03:47:36 +0000
my mom got Juno speedband which is one that claims to be 5 times faster (the
first one I saw).  The deal is the ISP themself 'compress' certain kinds of
files and webpages before they send them to you saving time.  There is a
long list of what types of files can and cannot be compressed.  If you go to
http://www.juno.com I think you can look at the info.  Music and video (the
things you need really fast speeds for) are not sped up.

I can't tell if it's really faster because it's an older machine than mine
with less memory, but I don't think it's a lot faster than the regular.

hope this helps,
Bob Kupferer

>From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Dial Up Speed
>Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:31:55 -0400
>

>Your understanding is correct--So what did the Isp say when you asked them?
>mike michel
>
>Wed, 27 Aug 2003 --Subject: Dial Up Speed
>Cindy Sandersen asked:
>
>Dear List,
>
>We have a local ISP that is advertising a new dial-up connection that is 5
>times faster than "regular" dial-up connections. I was always under the
>impression that the connection is only as fast as your telephone line can
>send and receive. I know they are not going to put in new phones lines for
>people who subscribe, so how is this possible? Any thoughts or comments on
>this out there?
>
>Just Curious,
>
>Cindy Sanderson

>Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy
patented spam protection and more.  Sign up now!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml