From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:13:09 -0700
With all this talk of NT/Win2k vs Win95/98, I just had to jump in. I have
been a user of NT, and now Win2k, since 1992 when it was just a test
product. In all that time, I never regretted making the change, although I
have had to live with lack of support from software vendors, and numerous
incompatibility issues.

NT 4 is now fairly well supported and not much risk for someone to use as a
better Win95. However, there is a whole lot to like about Win2k but... As I
write this, my copy of Microsoft Encarta 2000 does NOT run under Win2k - I
guess Microsoft applications don't have an inside edge despite judge
Jackson's views. Or is it that Microsoft does not think there is much demand
for Win2k to justify the effort! ;)

If you are willing to buy a little bit more ram and disk space and are
willing to give up some software compatibility in the near term, then go
with Win2k - you will gain much more stability. You will not get a system
lockup on a daily basis as many do with Win98. Before going with Win2k,
though, make sure that the software you need will run on it. A good
compromise may be Windows NT 4. Almost as good as Win2k, but more compatible
and better supported (by other software vendors - Microsoft does not support
either, Win2k or NT :) ).

Peter Shkabara, P.E.
Computer Science Instructor
Columbia College - Sonora, CA