From:
Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:20:48 -0500
Hi,

You should be OK as long as it isn't a Winmodem/ or software type.
The Winmodem and modems like it uses software to control the
modem which intern uses the CPU.  Any 56K modem that requires a Pentium
(most at least 100Mhz) is more likely a winmodem. Yes winmodems are cheaper,
but
30 or 40 more dollars you spend on a non-winmodem is well worth it.
and be sure you get one with v.90, you'll be happy you do too.

P.S.
56KModems that require a Pentium and a rated speed--mostly 100mhz--is either
a software conrolled or a winmodem, if it doesn't mention anything about
requiring Windows 95 and up to be used then it is more likey to be a
software modem.  Win modems cannot be used in DOS mode.

Have a happy new year,
--Patrick Black