From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 18:12:49 -0500
On Saturday 05 January 2002 12:24 pm, Brad Feuerhelm wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a FIC Va503+ mobo. Installed it in a tower case with a ATX 350w
> power supply.
> I plugged in atx power connector into atx plug.
> Jumpered mobo for atx not at power.
> popped in a working video card (Imagine 8meg 128 pci).
> Popped in 64 meg Dimm (working)
>
> Mobo powers up, all fans working.
> No Video! ! !
> Took video card and put it in another computer, works just fine.
>
> Found out Yellow wire on power supply is pulling about 18-20 volts, red
> wire pulling 7-8 volts.
> Yellow is suppose to be 12 volts and Red is suppose to be 5 volts.
> I assume this is why there is no video.
> Since I have no video I don't know if anything else is going to work.
> Had power supply checked out, it checked out ok.
> So I can only assume it may be the mobo, or a setting i'm missing.
> I checked out the manual for the FIC mobo and it only mentions the PWR
> jumper to set to ATX.
> I have emailed FIC tech support but haven't heard from them in a week.
> FIC USA website seems to be down. Can only connect to Taiwan english site
> and my email keeps coming back undeliverable.
> So I was wondering if anyone here on the list has had similar problem.
> If you wish to contact me off list that is ok with me. [log in to unmask]
>
> TIA
>
> Brad Feuerhelm

Brad:
I'm no expert on power supplies, but running 50 per cent over rated voltage
does not sound like a good idea to me, which leads me to question whether the
power supply is really OK. Listers more knowledgeable than I am will (I hope)
comment.

However, I had a FIC Va503+, and I recall that I had a hard time getting an
AGP card to seat properly in the slot. It looked OK, but it wasn't. I found
that the only way to fully seat the card was to push on it with one hand
while supporting the back of the board with the other hand to keep it flat.

HTH,
Carroll Grigsby