From:
Rosie Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 11:06:36 -0800
I'm having problems getting my master drive to recognize my slave drive
(which used to be my master).   It's a Western Digital Caviar 2.1 MB
with WIN 95.   The master drive is an IBM 10.1 gig with Win 98.

I've gotten CMOS to recognize both hard drives but cannot access the
Western Digital after Win 98 has booted up from the IBM hd.

For further information:   last night I was checking a friend's hard
drive and exchanged her hard drive with my Western Digital.  I was able
to access the WD but it kept booting up to safe mode.   I only tried
booting up my WD a couple of times and then gave up because it was well
past 2 a.m.    Besides, I think I  had found out what I wanted to
know:   her hard drive was dead.   BTW.. her computer would go just to
the Win 95 splash screen and stay there forever.    I used F8 and was
able to look at her directory and see it, but could only access a few
.txt files.   Most of the time, I got the message to abort, retry or
fail.   Am I right that her hard drive has died?

It's been a long time since I've used my WD and I frankly can't remember
if I was having problems with it needing to boot up in safe mode.   I'm
a bit concerned that her computer may have more problems than just the
hard drive.   I had found a bunny farm in it!!!!   Actually, it was more
like a dust storm.

My questions are:

First of all, could the dust in her computer have affected some of the
circuits which somehow might have caused my hard drive to want to boot
up in safe mode?  (Note:   I did clean out most of the dust before
installing my hard drive but I didn't do a thorough dust cleaning until
I was ready to pack her computer up.)

Second:   How can I get Win 98 on my primary hd to recognize the
secondary drive?   (I've tried installing new hardware from Win 98 but
it still doesn't see the other hard drive.   I tried manually installing
it by selecting dual hard drive controller.   I didn't bother selecting
that I had my own disk.  Should I have done so?)

Third... is it even possible for the one operating system (Win 98) to
recognize the other (Win 95).   Would I need to reformat the second
drive?  If so, how can I do it if the first one doesn't even know it's
there?

I sure hope I'm not asking too sophmoric questions.    I appreciate
anyone kind enough to wade through all my questions and point me in the
right direction.

Thanks,
Rosie Richter

                            The NOSPIN Group