From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:51:03 -0700
Good Morning,

I have a few things that I would like to mention for all the new
subscribers and to remind our many long-time loyal subscribers.
As always, we do not allow replies to ADMIN messages to be
posted to the list.  If you have any comments, send them to:

1) Too many messages in your mailbox => Digest Mode
2) PCBUILD's Archives
3) The NOSPIN Group web page => http://nospin.com
4) Moderation of the mailing lists
5) NOSPIN-L mailing list

1) Too Many messages in your mailbox => Digest Mode

Recently with the advent of several hundred new subscribers
from the wonderful review of PCBUILD on Andover:
   http://www.techmailings.com/review_012599.html
we have been receiving a great many comments about the
volume of mail received.   We have a solution if you would
prefer less mail from PCBUILD...   Digest Mode.

Digest Mode for PCBUILD will generate on Email a day from
the this mailing list.   You will receive a concise, indexed
email with all the post from the previous day.  To change your
subscription to Digest Mode just send an Email to the listserver
at:  [log in to unmask]

In the body of the message, type this:

SET PCBUILD DIGEST

It is just that simple.  If you wish to change back later, send this
command:

SET PCBUILD NODIGEST

If you are receiving PCBUILD in digest mode and decide to post an
answer, be sure to change the subject line to reflect the message
you are answering.  Otherwise it may become lost in our archives.

2) PCBUILD's Archives

We maintain archives of all messages posted to PCBUILD.
Unfortunately, those archives only date back to Feb/98.  On
two different occasions during the 8 years of PCBUILD's
existence our archives have been deleted.  Today, we make
redundant backups up our archives and they are secure.

If you wish to read through the archives, you will find an immense
amount of knowledge, quick answers to questions you may
believe has already been asked.  The archives are located at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/pcbuild.html

Do not feel you cannot ask a question only because it has been
asked before and is in the archives.   If you have a question,
no matter how basic, we want you to ask it.  That is why
PCBUILD exists.

3) The NOSPIN Group web page => http://nospin.com

Although PCBUILD has had a web site for several years, we
only decided to make it a priority last August.   Today, we are
working hard to update the site often.   Our moderators find they
devote a great deal of time to the task of Moderation and they
do not always have time to write more articles for the site.

That is why we welcome all of our subscribers to submit articles,
reviews, tech tips and so forth for our web site.  We protect
the copyright of the author and give full credit for each item published.

Here are some new items we have added since the first of the year:

The "About Us" page, explaining our history, philosophy and more:
     http://nospin.com/pc/about.html

The Awards and Reviews page listing comments about us on other sites:
     http://nospin.com/pc/reviews.html

Our staff page now has photos of our staff and our Senior Contributors.
We have had numerous pictures added this month:
     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html

The "Link To" page with buttons and banners to use to link your home
page to The NOSPIN Group:
      http://nospin.com/pc/linkto.html

Our Articles & Reviews page has several new items listed:
      http://nospin.com/pc/pcb04.html

Do not forget about our very large download area.  Today we have
hundred's of great files to download,  recommended by our subscribers
and staff:
     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html

If there is something you would like to contribute or would like us to
add, write us at:  [log in to unmask]

4) Moderation of the mailing lists

Why is PCBUILD moderated?   I am asked this question from time to
time.  Initially we moderated to control abuse to the list, when our
subscriber base doubled in size after our reviews by PC World online.

Then, last August we polled our subscribers and over 70% of our
subscribers told us they wanted us to continue with moderation.  That
tends to tell us that our moderation is a success.   We have made
every attempt to allow as many posts to the list, as long as they
are On Topic, containing no SPAM or FLAMES.   If you would like
to understand the policy our moderators use for approving messages,
we have it posted on the web:
    http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html#mod
If you have questions about proper posting, we have an expanded
version of the rules for good posting at:
    http://nospin.com/pc/rules.html

If you have any problems using the mailing lists, be sure to contact
us at:  [log in to unmask]

5) NOSPIN-L mailing list

For about a year now, many subscribers have encouraged us to find
a way to update them about the changes and happenings with our
mailing lists and the web site.   In December we decided to open
a new mailing list:  NOSPIN-L

We still have not created the web page for this list, (we hope to
have it done soon).  This mailing list will be a monthly newsletter.
John Chin of our staff will be the editor and he has some great ideas
for upcoming editions.  Initially we thought to just add all our subscribers
from both PCBUILD & PCSOFT to the list.   But, I decided against doing
this.  I never want to abuse my subscribers trust in us by out-of-hand
using your Email address for anything other than you expect.  So,
we will leave it to you to join our monthly Newsletter on your own.

Currently, you can do this by using our online subscription page:
     http://nospin.com/pc/online.html
                   - or -
Send an email to:  [log in to unmask]
in the body of the message use the subscribe command:

SUBSCRIBE NOSPIN-L  your_first_name  your_last_name

You will only receive one message a month from this list and we
hope it will replace Adminstrative posts...   like this one!!

Thanks again to all of your for making PCBUILD such a great
success.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group
  http://nospin.com

Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control...

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>