From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:43:59 -0400
>>Chuck Hassenplug wrote:
>>
>> I just got a Fujitsu 4.3 GB UDMA HDD and I need to know
>>the best way to set it up with two partitions, one a d:\ of 100mb
>>for a swap disk  in win98 and the rest on a c:\ partition. . . . .
>>
>>I would like to set it up with FAT32.

Chuck:

As James Kerr pointed out, you cannot have a FAT32
partition of 100MB. Besides, the FAT16 cluster size of
a 100MB partition is smaller than a FAT32 cluster.

Anyway, you are better off having a swap file using
LARGE CLUSTERS, because they will read and write
faster than many smaller clusters and reduce the extent
of fragmentation.

Further, having a dedicated SWAP file using the entire
D: drive, which is a logical drive of your primary disk, is
not the best way of organizing your drive letters and
optimizing performance.

The best solution is:  Bring your RAM up to at
least 64MB and let Windows 98 handle your Swap
File. This amount of RAM will substantially reduce the
Windows need for virtual memory and avoid the
attendant, time wasting Swap File management.

If you have a chipset that will cache over 64 MB,
increase the RAM accordingly. Prices for 168-pin
RAM are cheap ($1/MB) and prices for 72-pin SIMMs
are going up, so you're better off getting the RAM
now, for both price and performance reasons.

Regards,

John Chin

                                  -----