From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:39:29 -0500
From: Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 12:55 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Y2K SETTINGS FOR WINDOWS

>  Where it says, "Short Date Sample", look and see
> if it shows a "two digit" year. Of course it does.
> That's the default setting for Windows 95,
> Windows 98 and NT.  This date RIGHT HERE is the
> date that feeds application software and WILL NOT
> rollover in the year 2000.
> It will roll over to 00.

Well, actually it does change to 2000 automatically but you just will
see "00".  It's not really a problem since this setting  just determines
the short format of any date displayed.  The year will still be recorded
as 2000 in the computer.  It will just display the year as the last two
digits rather than four digits just as before.  Indiscriminately
changing this format can cause lots of problems with displays and
printed reports no longer fitting in the space allotted for them.  This
is why it remains as the default short date setting.  For example,
Access gets its short date format from this setting.  If someone
designed reports using the regional short date format to save space
where there is no reason for misunderstanding whether it is a 20th or
21st century date, the four-digit year format may not fit in the space
and could cause problems with printing those reports.  So this is not
really a problem and changing it without considering the implications
could cause lots of problems.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html