From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:04:17 -0400
I have a thinkpad 600e, and its screen has started flickering.
What are the odds that I could fix it, and what woiuld be the
risks of trying?

It's been going on for about a month now, and is getting worse.
It's 100% a hardware problem (IMO), and seems to be caused
by a loose connection or partially broken wire in the connection
between the main part of the laptop and the screen itself.  I say
this because the flickering is sometimes triggered by flexing
the screen's hinge (e.g., opening/closing the screen or changing
its angle).  Sometime the flickering can be stopped (or triggered)
by tapping the screen near its hinge, and so on.

I haven't tested the laptop with an external monitor, but I'd be
willing to guarantee that it will run perfectly with no symptom
of the flickering.

Has anyone seen anything like this? What are the odds I can fix
this myself?  The screen itself seems to be fine --- when it's not
flickering, it looks great, almost like new.

I don't want to wreck the laptop, but the problem sure seems
like a mechanical / very simple electrical problem that might
be fixed by something as simple as reseating a video cable
connector.

(The machine is running nt4, sp5, but again this isn't relevant,
because it's a pure hardware problem.)

Thanks for any advice.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews