From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:06:30 -0600
At 07:01 AM 4/27/99 , Jim Gill wrote:
>This one sounds a little crazy to me...I wanted to get a few opinions.
>This is third hand information, so I may not have all the details.
>
>My sister is a teacher. There was a ceiling leak at her school right
>above a computer. (I know the computer is a MAC but I don't have further
>information regarding age, model and so on.) Currently the keyboard is
>not functioning. Two "computer teachers" have stated they learned at a
>seminar that the keyboard should be run through a dishwasher to fix it.
>This leads me to believe that some of the keys are sticking and the
>thought is that the dishwasher cleaning will rectify this. Again, I
>don't have first hand knowledge but I assume the keyboard suffered water
>damage. It seems to me that putting a keyboard in the dishwasher is akin
>to throwing a drowning victim back in the water to revive them. If
>anyone has ever heard of this practice, can you explain it in more
>detail?

Although it sounds odd, this is not a new topic for PCBUILD.  It has
been discussed a great deal over the years.

First:  If you put a keyboard in a dishwasher, remove the electronics
from inside the keyboard case.  Often the water will infiltrate them
and they will be ruined.

Second: If you put the keys in the dishwasher separately,  say in a
cheese cloth bag, understand that the bag can come apart, the
keys spill down into the bottom and into the food grinder.  Then
bits and pieces of the keys will plug up the water system and grind
up the water pump, (it costs about $150 for this repair).

The best advice is remember that keyboards are cheap and can
be replaced easily.   If you decide to wash one, it is best to do it
by hand...   some people have used a dishwasher successfully...
some people have paid $150 to repair the dishwasher...  some
people have found the keyboard electronics ruined by the
water.

Use good judgement and be careful.

                Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc