From:
Kathy Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 23:16:28 -0400
David,

When I first made the change to "auto" (in type and mode columns in the
Standard BIOS Setup screen), the drive was recognized as CHS until I
re-FDISKed and formatted it in Win98 SE. It now displays LBA. Originally, it
DID say LBA when I used auto detect although the BIOS didn't see the correct
size (even though auto-detect SAID it did). In the BIOS setup pages,
everything looked "hunky-dory", only it really wasn't (the bootup screen
showed the wrong size). To top it off, Windows said it saw the correct size
and was handling everything just fine, but Norton Disk Doctor had a fit! In
all my years of installing drives, I have never seen anything like it.!

Since the BIOS reported two different sizes (one in auto-detect, and the
other on the boot-up screen), I am assuming it is a BIOS/Maxtor 5.7 problem.
Maxtor had heard of it. Curiosity does make we want to try other drives with
the board, but currently time doesn't allow.

I am using the new Windows Second Edition Release Version (I'm a beta
tester), and unfortunately, I didn't pick up on this until after the testing
was over... Since this board (and my FIC 2013) is already replete with
"quirks" doing a clean Windows 98 install, I must have been distracted! (The
same drive on the 2013 doesn't have a problem, although I did change to
"auto" just to make sure.)

For some reason this Maxtor 5.7 must be forced to be recognized by this
BIOS, and happily the "auto" settings do it (it really doesn't slow the boot
down, and it reminds me of the good ole days!)

Kathy

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html