From:
"S. Stubbs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:53:32 -0500
Hey, I have a plan with my upcoming DSL connection. I have 2 puters right now
running ICS(internet connection sharing) and dialup. With a switch in between them,
on a fast ethernet network. I ordered an internal DSL modem,
which bellsouth is sending in 2 weeks. I have considered making a third puter!!
I was thinking that if I have everything to make another in my closet, except for
a processor, I could make one and use it as the host machine on the network. I would
install the internal modem on this puter, which would have only win98SE, ICS host,
and NIC card with cable to switch which has other 2 client puters connected.
Would this puter be ok to add? Would it act as a firewall for the other 2 puters?
It is cheaper for me to utilize my existing pc junk, than to buy a Linksys DSL router.
Would this be ok?
OH, one real important question to me right now is a dumb one. In ICS when you go
to the little icon for ICS in the tray, it has a "status", "disable", "options" selection.
I would really like to know what happens if you hit the disable button? I would like to
know what it does and if it would cause reboot. If it just temporarily disables and then
you could turn it back on with no implication or trouble, this would be nice to know.
I would like to try one time to disable it to see if my client puter could dial out on its own
modem.......
Susan Stubbs