Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:17:05 -0600
Hey Brah,

When you add an Internet shortcut to your Favorites folder, Internet
Explorer (IE) looks for an icon file named Favicon.ico in the Web site's
root folder. If it finds the file, IE uses this icon instead of the default,
blue and white "e" icon in the Favorites bar, the Favorites menu, and the
Address bar. Custom icons make the Favorites list easier to scan, so you can
locate a given shortcut faster.

The biggest problem with favicons is that they are not persistent. If you
empty your Temporary Internet Files folder, the icons are lost. Normally,
the only way to restore a favicon is to delete the link from the Favorites
folder and recreate it. Also, favicons are not recognized under Version 4 of
Internet Explorer, and Internet Explorer 5 sometimes fails to download the
favicon automatically. There are several ways to make the favicons permanent
but by far the easiest and fastest is to use a program called FavOrg.

FavOrg scans the Web sites in your Favorites list for favicons. The program
also lets you associate any icon you choose with a given shortcut, even if
no favicon is provided. Since FavOrg must check the validity of an Internet
shortcut before attempting to download the favicon, it automatically flags
dead links as it goes through your Favorites list. If you like, it can
update redirected links or reset dead links to the site's root.

FavOrg 1.4 - Free
http://wittswallpapers.com/Oldies/indexoldies.html

Enjoy your new 'permanent' favicons and... have fun!!

Sven Swanson, Sr.