From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:16:37 -0500
Christian Essner wrote:

> Is there any serious loss in performance from extending the SVGA cable from the standard to a 50' cable? I have read stories that a booster may be needed. I need to move my 3 machines into a closet and to do so need to purchase 50' extensions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

   I hook up 15 foot extensions to the regular monitor cable on occasion
for presentations and notice some degradation, usually not too bad. 50
foot is another matter. Not only will you need a booster, you will also
need a cable about twice as thick in diameter. The presenters at the
last Microsoft Big Day event I attended had such a setup and it worked
well. Expect the cost to be quite expensive...I thought he said his
booster and cable ran about $650.

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
Region 14 ESC Abilene