From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 23:25:30 -0500
Herbert Graf wrote:

>         Laplink and DCC use the same cables, and each work quite well, I like the
> DCC more because it simulates a network connection, no app to work through
> once the connection is made. Yes, it is a simple null modem cable, or a
> special cable for printer ports. However, if you are transferring 2 gigs of
> data, I recommend something other than the serial. 2 gigs is about 2000
> megs. The fastest most serial cables go is 11.25Kbytes per second, at that
> rate 1 meg takes 1.5 minutes, so 2000 megs takes 3000 minutes, about 50 hours!

First of all, my thanks to everyone who offered advice. I appreciate it
very much! We decided to try DCC, but hit a few snags right away. First
of all, my standard null modem cable wasn't able to establish any kind
of connection at all. I made sure the serial ports were not disabled or
conflicting with other resources, and that the cable was good, but no
go.

Next step was to buy a DCC-Parallel cable and try it that way. After
MUCH frustration and MANY failed attempts, we were able to get past the
handshake phase and actually have the Guest see the Host. Net Medic said
we were connected at 393Kbps, but transfers were slower than I had
hoped. We decided to cut our losses and only transfer things we HAD to
transfer, which was way less than what we thought we wanted to move.
Each machine crashed several times during the hours they were connected,
and each time we were able to eventually reestablish the connection.
After quitting for the day, however, we found that no amount of fiddling
would result in a successful connection the next day, so at that point
we dialed both of them into our respective ISP's and finished moving
data that way, at a blazing 26.4Kbps.

All in all, if I had to do it again, I'd simply connect one hard drive
into the other system and transfer files directly, or barring that I'd
beg, borrow, or steal an external Zip or Jaz drive. DCC (both serial and
parallel) was pretty much a failure for us. I just wanted to let you all
know how things turned out. Thanks again!

Jeff Delzer