From:
Jason Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:59:04 -0500
Hi everyone. I am running into lots of trouble just trying to set up two Win 98 Machines on a simple peer-to-peer network. Configuration: Both computers connected via identical ethernet adapters (10/100) to a 10/100 Hub. Both running Win98Se. Networking: The systems have Client for Microsoft Networks installed, TCP/IP, and File and Printer Sharing enabled. I have both on workgroups of the same name. Now, for some reason, when I click on Network Neighborhood, they refuse to see each other. They both appear by themselves in the workgroup. I have tried giving static IP addresses, switching from TCP/IP to NetBEUI, changing adapters, etc. No luck at all. I can't see what the problem is. I've also tried booting both in Safe Mode Command prompt and running net diag. One acts as a diagnostics server and the other communicates with it successfully. So, I am fairly sure the hardware is okay. I guess there is something wrong with the Microsoft Networking configuration. I have also tried completely removing networking and reinstalling. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason P. Shah
UNI Consulting