From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:13:46 -0400
At 10:59 AM 6/26/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>On 25 Jun 2005 at 23:01, Paul Jones wrote:

<SNIP>
>> I can ping 192.168.0.151 from the Compaq, but can't ping 192.168.0.1 from
>> the Asus.  On the Compaq, I can see the workgroup [Mshome] under My Network
>> Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network.  I did see the 98 machine
>> icon at one time, but could not see or read the shared documents folder.
>> On the 98 machine, I could only see the workgroup once or twice in several
>> tries.

<David Gillett>
>  Many XP machines won't respond to ping if the XP firewall is enabled.  In
>90% or more of cases I've seen or heard of, "A can ping B, but B can't ping
>A" has turned out to be due to a firewall filtering out ping requests or
>ping responses.

Thank you David!  It was Zone Alarm's setting for NIC in the XP machine.
Changed it to "Trusted" and all seems to be fine.  I actually found out
late last night via the message board at Annoyances.org:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1008096447

Some good advice there, some bad.

Thanks for the info on NetBEUI and Simple File Sharing, too.

Paul Jones