From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:03:44 -0800
On 30 Mar 98 at 16:44, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> > > I have a 133 now
<snip>
>  So would a P233 w/MMX be enough of an improvement to warrant the
> upgrade?

  Very probably.  First of all, you're increasing CPU speed by 75%.
Assuming you have at least 256K of L2 cache, that has to make a
difference.  The MMX CPUs also have larger L1 cache, typically good
for an average 10% boost.

  I would be surprised if you got a full doubling of system speed out
of such an upgrade, but a 50% improvement is probably reasonable and
more is possible.

> Any risks doing this?

  Well, you *will* need split voltage.  Your board may provide it,
but on some cheap i430 boards its an option which is listed as a
feature but cannot actually be found.

  Even with split voltage, faster CPUs put out more heat.  Your
existing heatsink/fan may not be up to the job.  [It also may not
fit.  The P133 I have is in a flat ceramic package, while I believe
the 233MMX comes in a plastic package with a raised metal "heat
spreader".]

  Your BIOS may not correctly identify the type and speed of a new
CPU.  This should, generally, be a purely cosmetic issue, but check
the manufacturer's web site -- there may be a newer BIOS available
that fixes this.
  It has been alleged that some BIOSes out there will not work with
MMX CPUs.  I've never seen this, or a convincing explanation of how
it could be true, but maybe that's just "not yet".

  On Socket 7, my observation has been that the marked corner of the
CPU goes towards the handle of the release lever.  Confirm this when
removing your P133, to make sure the 233MMX is properly aligned.

David G