From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:22:15 -0600
At 10:39 AM 2/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Side question on this, External/Internal, Who prefers what and why???
>Curious as to prefrences and reasons...

I've always preferred and recommended internal modems because they are
cheaper and do not require external cables and power supplies.  Many people
prefer external because of the status lights that can aid in
trouble-shooting but I've never found that to be a big requirement for most
people.

Recently, I've begun to lean more toward external modems for people who
expect to upgrade to a new computer in the near future because of the trend
toward fewer or no ISA slots in new computers.  The fewer number of PCI
slots in newer computers as compared to ISA slots in older computers also
leads me to recommend external modems so no slot is needed at all.

According to test programs and personal experience, 56K service is not
reliable in our area but we are about to get cable Internet access which
will eliminate the need for a modem for many people.  This is the main
reason why I still use a 28.8Kbps modem and have no plans to upgrade.  The
other reason is that I do not use the Web much - instead using the Internet
mainly for email and newsgroups where speed is not necessary.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html