From:
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:51:06 EST
     We have just concluded the installation of an ethernet twisted pair with
active hub network in our home with what appears to be the customary
disappointments of outdated workstation BIOS and peripheral drivers ultimately
addressed with great assistance from the members of this list serve and
conquered by the combination of persistance and time.
     However, some Win95 initiation problems have begun to appear on a Compaq
Presario 9548 workstation once the additional burdens of network operations
commenced.  Network printing and scan image processing are noticeably slow and
inconvenient.  On boot-up, the system displayed several loading errors as
follows:

Device=C:\Windows\DialNDIS.exe
Shiva PPP dial-in driver v3.52
The protocol manager is not loaded

Device=C:\Windows\vtcprmt.exe
Network TeleSystems Support Driver for TCP
virtual device driver ver TCP/IP 1.14

No protocol manager driver PROTMAN$ is installed.
Initialization failed.

     A BootLog indicated the following problems at commencement:

Failed to load device C:\Windows\DialNDIS.exe
Failed to load device C:\Windows\VTCPRMT.exe
Load failed vxd Vshare
Load failed vxd dial.386
Syscritinit NWREDIR
Deviceinit MTRR
Deviceinit NSCL

     In a telephone call to Compaq Technical Support on 29 December, 1998,
they suggested that these messages indicated some of the Win95 files were
corrupted and that we should use the "Quick Restore" CD-ROM to conclude a
complete Win95 re-installation.  This is truly drastic as it F-Disk's and
reformats the hard drive and reloads all the factory bundled software.  Then
we have to delete the junk, re-install the applications that we want and
restore the data that was lost.
     We gave some thought to how one might completely reinstall Win95 from the
Compaq Windows\ Options\ Cabs folders.  We recalled some Win95 file that, once
renamed, allows for a complete re-installation of Win95, but do not recall the
name.  Compaq says that this procedure does not allow for a re-installation
over existing, but corrupted Win95 files.
     Can any list member interpret these boot errors?  Are they related to a
hardware inconsistency or is this a software problem.  How might we respond?
Is a Win95 reinstallation in order and, if so, how best might we accomplish
this task?
     TIA
Tommy Holmes, Jr.