From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:12:02 -0400
On Wednesday 10 April 2002 02:20 pm, Tom Heywood wrote:
> I am using Windows ME. I have connection problems to my ISP. He has advised
> that I update my Modem Driver.
>
> I have downloaded a Driver from the modem manufacturer. The download is a
> "zip" file (6793_wme.zip). Inside the zip there are 23 files.
>
> My problem is that I do not know what directory I should place the 23 files
> in when I unzip the "driver" zip file ?
>
> Then when I use the install wizard what name do I give the driver ?
>
> Advice would be gratefully received.
>
> Tom Heywood

Tom:

I've developed a procedure for downloaded files that has worked quite well
for me; feel free to modify it to your needs:

1. I have a folder called "Downloads" to which any new downloads are
directed. When the download is complete, it is scanned for any possible
viruses.
2. (This is the bare minimum). I have another folder called "Empty". Assuming
that the new file passes the virus scan, I move it from Downloads to Empty.
Then I unzip the file. (If your virus scanner does not check compressed
files, or if you have a high level of paranoia, then tell it to scan this
folder. Now.)
3. Usually, I'll find a readme or somesuch named file that gives
further instructions about installation. If so, I open it with Notepad; I
will usually print it out, too (short term memory lapse problem). In the
absence of any installation instructions, I look for something called
"Setup", "Install" or the like.
4. Then I install the new program/driver.
5. After I'm satisfied that everything is OK, I create a new sub-folder in my
Archives folder, using a descriptive name such as "Wonderful Modem Drivers",
and move the contents of Empty to this folder. I may also copy the .zip file
to a floppy. I've found that the Archive sub-folders and floppies can be
real lifesavers if Something Really Bad happens that requires either a
Windows reinstall or major repair.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: