From:
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:34:08 EST
In a message dated 1/9/99 9:51:59 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Subj:       Re: [PCBUILD] Conflict I/O ports 2F8...
>  Date:        1/9/99 9:51:59 PM EST
>  From:        [log in to unmask] (Bob Wright)
                                            <snip>

>  At 05:37 PM 1/9/99 , you wrote:
>  >Hello all,
>  >
>  >        A buddy has just finished putting together his first system and
>  >upon boot-up, he said he got the message "Conflict I/O ports 2F8".
>  >Could someone please help me decipher this for him?  I failed to get
>  >specs on his board and processor, but I originally thought that it
>  >was a generic conflict message, so I can call him to get specifics
>  >if necessary.
>
>  Typically this is caused by an ISA non-plug-n-play modem in the
>  bus requesting a com port that is also requested by the bios for
>  an external com port.
>
>  Tell him to open the Bios and turn off "Com 2" in the CMOS
>  settings of the Bios.   Then the conflict will disappear.
>
>  Bob Wright
>  The NOSPIN Group

>  >
>  >Thanks for any input.
>  >Harold E. Schumacher, Jr.
>  >--
     At the risk of appearing conceptually inert, I am having some difficulty
following these directions to install an internal PCI modem jumperd as Com2,
IRQ 5 on one of our Win95 workstations.  We can get it installed, but
thereafter, we lose the connection about every six weeks.  When we try modem
diagnostics, we get the messege "Cannot open serial port".  It appears that we
are not doing something correctly.

     How might one properly turn off "Com 2" in the CMOS setting of my BIOS.
I have a section of the AMIBIOS that is entitled 'Peripheral Setup" and that
offers the option to "Disable" as to the "Onboard Serial Port 2" but it also
offers in a section entitled "PCI / Plug n Play Setup" an option to set each
of the IRQ's either to Plug n Play or EISA / ISA.  What selection ought one to
make in each of these sections to turn off Com 2  this PCI modem.
Tommy Holmes, Jr.