From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:34:42 -0700
I had a similar problem, except my computer "lost" the NTLDR file.  I had
to start from within the recovery console and then copy NTLDR from my
install CD.  It's in the i386 directory there.

I got the following information from
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm  click on H at the top and it's
the first item listed.

"HAL.DLL is Missing

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted,
select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the
repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation
that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one
try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list
of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would
be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for
the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to
exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer. "

Good Luck!

Tony Mayer
Sysop
The Magic FunHouse BBS
http://bbs.magicom.net

>Hey All...When I start my computer up, I get a black DOSlike screen that
>says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
>corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the
>above file."  I'll reboot, pressing the F8 key and this will bring up the
>Windows Advanced Options Menu. No matter which option I highlight, I'll
>press enter then enter again on the next screen. This takes me right back
>to the "missing or corrupt file" screen. I've rebooted using the WindowsXP
>set up 6 disc floppys, and I can actually access the recovery panel, but
>from there I'm lost. According to the Microsoft knowledge Base
>(Q314058)there are I think, 30 different commands and I don't have a clue
>as to which one I use to restore the missing or corrupt hal.dll file, or
>failing that, to start up usi
>ng the last known good configuration. Is there anyone out there who would
>care to lead a novice computer user through this process if it's at all
>possible? My computer is a HP pavilion 533w. It runs WinXP home. Thanks
>millions in advance!  Kevin Hitsman

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com