From:
Brian Skingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:56:25 +0100
Latest from the Web shows capability, at chip level to go to 10GHz

Super chips to reach 10Ghz by 2006

An industry consortium and three US national laboratories demonstrated a
prototype of a chip-making machine that it said by 2006 could make chips
smaller and nearly 10 times faster than today.
Using so-called extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography to trace ultra small
lines of circuitry on silicon wafers, the technology could let companies
print circuits down to 0.03 microns.

The consortium of semiconductor companies includes Intel, Motorola, AMD,
Micron Technology, Infineon Technologies and IBM. The three labs are
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory and Sandia National Laboratories.

Chuck Gwyn, programme manager for the collaboration, called the EUV Limited
Liability Company (LLC), said the completion of the prototype machine marks
a major milestone. "Our next step is to transfer the technology to
lithography equipment manufacturers to develop beta and production tools,"
he said.

Processors using EUV technology are expected to reach speeds of up to 10Ghz
by 2006.

The machine, known as the Engineering Test Stand, will be used by LLC
partners and lithography tool suppliers during the next year to refine the
technology and get it ready to create prototype commercial machines that
meet industry requirements for high-volume chip production. The prototype
should start at 0.07-micron circuitry.

Kevin Krewell, an analyst at MicroDesign Resources, said that it looks like
the right technology. "You've got all the major players supporting it. It
looks real solid," he said.

Brian Skingley from vunet.co.uk

_________
Skingley Consulting Limited

Pilot House
Maritime Avenue
Heybridge Basin
Maldon
Essex
CM9 4RT

Tel:    01621-841494 (day)
Tel:    01621-850837 (eve)
Facs:  0870-1641574

Mailto: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Web: http://www.skingley.com