From:
Bob Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:15:07 +1100
Gidday,

I have had similar trouble recently.
System locking during cab file copies etc..
After many attempts to install W2k on a similar system GA-5AA K6-3 450. 4.2
Quamtum drive
I finally tracked the problem down to an overheating CPU. The fan semmed to
be running fine but it slowed down during cab file copying and this caused
the system to hang and if I rebooted the thing would get a bit further each
time. I replaced the fan and have had no more trouble..
There is a section at MS technet about this problem and it refers to work
load on CPU during install.

Hope this helps

Bob Stout.

Subject: [PCBUILD] Win2K Install Problems

I'm have problems installing Win2k on a pc that I built just recently.
Here's what it has:
GA-5AA Gigabyte Mainboard updated with the latest bios (F3 I think)
K6-2 400 Processor
Couple of older Quantum drives
2.5 gb IDE hard drive
1.6 gb IDE hard drive
HP 8200i CDRW
LS-120 disk drive setup as the A: drive
160 mb of RAM

I consistently get an unable to copy error on the copy files portion of the
text based install on Win2k.  It always stops on copying the Driver.Cab
file, regardless of what cdrom I use. (I've tried three different ones).
I've tried changing the ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard, same
thing happens.
I took the 2.5gb out, slaved it to another machine, copied the Win2k CD to
the drive without any problems.  Put in back in my machine, ran \I386\winnt
to install and it seemed to setup fine, the text based portion that is.  It
auto rebooted and started setup from the beginning again!
I moved the win2k data to the D: drive, formatted the C: drive and ran setup
from the D: drive.  It also was unable to copy a couple of files, but setup
gives the ability to ignore and go on.

It passed the text based install and moved onto the gui.  It hung at various
points and I powered down the machine and it went a little farther each
time.  I quickly tired of this and tried a different approach (RTFM!)
I then set the Bios to the defaults after some research on the
www.giga-byte.com.

Finally, it allowed me to setup the network items, machine name,
administrator password, etc and then it went into the "Setting up registry
components" (can't remember for sure) but during that it reboots and begins
the gui setup and reaches the same point and reboots again!

Sorry about the rambling message.

Does anybody have any clue what could be happening?

Daniel Mullings
MTSC - Advisory Systems Engineer
Verizon Data Services
Irving, Texas