From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:47:48 -0800
> How do I get everything on the same network?

  There are three approaches, depending on how fully you want to use the
capabilities of the two routers.

1. Remove the NetGear; the LinkSys should do everything it does, plus the
wireless capability.

2. Use the LinkSys as a "Wireless Access Point", rather than as a router.
Disable the DHCP server function of the LinkSys, and don't use its "WAN"
port.  Instead, use a *crossover* cable between one of its LAN ports and a
LAN port on the NetGear.

3. Make full use of both devices:  Determine the MAC address of the LinkSys
WAN port.  Add a "reservation" to the DHCP configuration on the NetGear, so
that it will always assign the LinkSys the same IP address,  Configure the
LinkSys to use a different range of addresses for its DHCP clients, and turn
off NAT on the LinkSys.  Add a route definition on the NetGear, telling it
that the new range of addresses are reached via the reserved address for the
LinkSys.  [This is very likely more trouble than it's actually worth to you,
unless you have enough wired devices to fill all the LAN ports of both
routers.]

David Gillett

On 26 Mar 2006 at 21:16, D Duncan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a wired  router (Netgear, FR114P) and a Linksys Wireless G (WRT54GS).
>
> I've been using the Netgear with my dsl and a couple of computers and
> a printer.  No problem.
>
> I now have added the Linksys in order to accommodate a couple of
> wireless laptops, by plugging the Linksys into the 4th Netgear port
> and making it a normal port as opposed to an uplink port.  That
> wireless router works fine, but I then lose my wired network...that
> is, the wireless doesn't see the wired and vice versa...but I can
> pull up both the Netgear web interface and the Linksys web interface
> on my browser on the wireless laptop.  I'm so confused.
>
> How do I get everything on the same network?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Diane
> OS is XP

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: