From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:02:25 -0800
On 22 Jan 99, at 21:08, Changhsu Liu wrote:

> I'm curious to know what exact is MCSE besides the name? Is it a
> requirement for certain jobs? What are the benefits of passing these
> exams. I have seen a lot huge books on this in bookstores.

  To become an MCSE, you have to pass six exams.  [Note that the
passing grade is different for each exam, typically somewhere around
the 75% mark....]

You must pass all three "core" exams:

  Networking Essentials
  NT Server 4.0
  NT Server 4.0 in the Enterprise

You must pass one of the "client" exams:

  NT Workstation 4.0
  Windows 98
  (Windows 95 *might* still be an option)

You must pass two of the "elective" exams:

  TCP/IP on NT 4.0
  MS Proxy Server 2.0
  MS IIS 4.0
  MS SQL Server 6.5
  MS Exchange Server 5.5
  MS SMS 1.2
  (there may be others)

  So, being an MCSE requires a good base of knowledge about building
and running Windows networks, especially using NT.  It's true that a
fair bit of this was stuff I'd already become familiar with through
work, but in order to pass the exams, I had to learn about things I
hadn't yet had any need to work with.  For me, that's the main benefit -
- identifying the things I didn't already know, and filling them in.

  The process is a bit expensive as a starting point; $100/exam, each
time you write it (so you don't want to fail any!), and I figure I
spent about $80 on books for each exam.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html