From:
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:01:30 EDT
We have an unusual problem replacing a failed 10 GB hard disk drive in a Sony
RX526DS workstation with a Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM drive.  We are informed by
Sony tech support that we must use the restore CD-ROM in order for the Win98
OS to support the proprietary video applications, but something in this
version of Win98 allows for but two partitions and the C: drive must be only
5 GB.  It then sees the D: drive as 25 GB.  This leaves the remaining 10 GB
of the replacement HDD unuseable.  It appears to us that we ought be able to
backup the entire contents of this HDD to another computer and use the Sony
Win98 boot disk to FDISK this hard drive to two 20 GB partitions and then
just restore from the backup.  Has anyone on the list any recommendations or
caveats regarding the procedure?

Tommy Holmes, Jr.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml