Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 20:18:26 +0200
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 02:58:15 -0400
> From: Kenneth Alan Boyd Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Could there be a write-protect jumper on the CD-R, or an open write line on
> the cable?

Thanks for the ideas. There is no write-protect jumper on the CD-R, But
for a totally different purpose: Is there a list of the SCSI settings with
definitions of the pins, for the different SCSI sockets?
with mappings from one socket to the other?

The full story is that I bought the Compro CW7502B CD-R (which is the same
as the Matsushita / Panasonic CW7502B drive), it came with an
internal Adaptec SCSI card. I wish to use it as external drive in two
different (and remotely located) PCs.
In one of them, I put the Adaptec in one computer, and checked. When
connected internally to that computer it worked fine in all modes with
EasyCD Creator (didn't work fine with the DirectCD, though), I then bought
a connector from an internal 50pin socket that is on the Adaptec, to an
external 25pin SCSI socket, and an external connector from this 25pin
connector to the 50pin connector that is on the CD-R. It read CDs ok but
when trying to write to CDs it claimed buffer underrrun ( a problem which
did not exist when it was connected directly from the 50 pins to the 50
pins. A technician which consulted me told me that there is no problem
with the 50pin-25pin-50pin mappings, and there might be that there are
problems with the cords themselves.
I also bought a second hand SCSI card (DTC3181A) which we checked in
a different computer with a different CD-R.

With this DTC card, in the device manager, my computer identified
that there is a Matsushita 7502B CD-R, but when tried to run EasyCD
Creator it claimed that there is no CD-R attached to the PC, it allowed me
to use is as a CD-ROM drive though, also in "My Computer" it is identified
as a CD-ROM drive.

Both the EasyCD Creator is the latest version, and the firmware of the
CD-R is the latest one.

The questions involved here:

1) should I re-install win95 or is the problems with the definitions
relevant for the SCSI card.

As for the above question I will first try to replace the SCSI cards
between the two computers, and see.

2) A totally different question: is there a problem with the
50pin -> 25pin -> 50pin

mappings as relevant for SCSI CD-R's.

3) A related question out of curiosity, is there info about the different
pins and mappings for the different SCSI socket standards (25pin, 40pin,
50pin, 68pin).

Uzi

                                  -----