From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:58:18 -0700
I use the Linksys router on a high speed connection to keep several
computers here at the NOSPIN NOC isolated from the Internet.  I don't notice
any particular performance degradation and it's pretty easy to set up.

Herbert Graf's suggestion of using a Linux Router has a lot of merit,
though.  I've installed the Netmax firewall/router to support a 150 computer
network's access to a T3 line on the Internet and it works flawlessly on an
old Pentium 90 system.  I don't see why something similar shouldn't work
well on a 486 with just a few computers connected to it.

I think that the Netmax software goes for around US100.00 retail, but there
are a number of free implementations...one that comes to mind is the Free
Cisco project at http://www.freesco.org.  It's supposed to allow you to boot
a fully functional Linux router/firewall from a single floppy disk.  Since I
haven't tried it, I can't vouch for it, but it's reputed to be a pretty good
performer.

Drew Dunn
The NOSPIN Group