Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:04:00 EDT
In a message dated 04/16/2002 7:34:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> > I will be building my first computer soon, and have a question about hard
> > drive
> > selection. I know that size and platter speed are the selling points that
> > many go by, but somewhere I read about access speed being as important.
> Can
> >

> Rocky, first I'd suggest trying to stay with the 5400rpm if you can for
> reliablility these days. But access speed is affected by how many platters
> the mfg uses to make the total size. The more platters for the same Gig
> size
> the 'faster' the info can be found. The more platters the more read/write
> heads and they travel less distance to find the files. But I and others
> have
> noticed failures of the high speed and dense pack new drives so unless you
> really 'access' a lot I'd consider a slower speed drive with 'good' access.
> use an IBM 60 but before the 75s had problems I was wary. good luck and
> read.....

Hi,
  Reliability-wise, I've had as good or better luck with 7200 rpm drives as
with 5400. Secondly, the FEWER platters for a given disk capacity will give
faster read/writes, as the voice coil driven, read/write head(s) assembly has
fewer "arms" going out to the heads, is lighter, and therefore can move
quicker.
  Also, the higher density of the data on the drive with fewer platters means
that the read/write heads will have to move a shorter distance going from
track to track (although the full stroke distance will be similar with all 3
1/2 inch drives, regardless of other specs). Once the read/write heads get to
the proper position, the higher density means that the data will be
read/written faster, as will the higher rpm.
  A good site for more info on drives is www.storagereview.com

Just my .02 worth,
Peter Hogan

  PS The IBM drives mentioned in the previous post did have excessive
problems, and a class action lawsuit has been brought against IBM for this.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>