From:
Robert Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:57:04 -0500
An old friend of mine recently changed to a cable modem connection. He is
using XP Home and has one computer . We installed a software firewall and I
suggested that we disable his "File Sharing".  I couldn't find a way to do
that in his XP Home. I did some research and found the following MS
Knowledge Base article:

The article says, in part:
"Note that you cannot disable simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition."

Some XP Home users may not be aware of things like networks and firewalls.
Does that leave them, by default, susceptible to intruders, who could
access their files?
Is this a problem?
If so, is there a fix (other than firewalls)?

Thanks, Bob Lendrim