From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:41:38 -0600
First, the particulars of my system:  Dell L800r desktop computer, 800
MHz Pentium processor, 40 gig HD with 22 gigs free, WinME operating system.

My problem:  I have, for years, used a 4 port powered USB 1.0 hub.  I
have a USB scanner and an external 40 gig HD operating through the hub.
Today, I installed an Iogear USB 2.0 PCI card, in hopes that I could
transfer everything to the 4 external USB 2.0 ports on the card and get
rid of the old hub.  So far, I haven't been able to get the computer to
recognize the external 40 gig HD when it is plugged into the USB 2.0 PCI
card.  It does not show up at all when connected to PCI card.  I tried
to see it by going to DOS and using FDisk but FDisk does not find the
drive either.  I shut down the system and plugged the external hard
drive back into the 4 port hub and turned the system back on.  It showed
up just like it had never been moved.

I went into Device Manager and it shows both USB controllers:  the new
PCI USB controller is shown as "USB 2.0 PCI to USB Enhanced Host
Controller" while the USB hub shows the "USB Mass Storage Device."

My problem is how can I change the equipment that I currently have
operating through the USB to operate off the much faster USB 2.0 PCI card.

Do I have to manually remove the devices one the USB hub in Device
Manager before windows will recognize the same devices on the new USB
PCI card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I checked for a possible interrupt conflict and did not find any
problems.

Loy

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com