Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 12:42:00 +0000
        Hi.
        On two almost identical systems the symptoms are the same:
        -With a DOS floppy, or interrupting W95 boot to the command
prompt, DOS GUEST works, assigns letter, and a Zip cartridge is read
normally. GUEST95 doesn't find any Zip.
        -Tried most recent W95 Zip recognizing software (version 5.4).
        -The problem can be tracked down to the presence of PPA3.MPD
in (w95)\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS. Renaming it, W95 boots normally. Several versions
of this file have been tried.
        -In W95 boot "Windows protection error. Initialize". When
installing, blue screens.
        -Two working parallel Zips have been tried. What is in common
between the two systems is the mobo and the disk. ???

> I'm not sure what this would tell us, but does the Zip work with Guest95
> software (as opposed to full Win95 Zip install)?
>
> Totally unrelated question -- Is the second parallel port an on-board port, or
> an add-in card?  I wonder if it would work on an add-in parallel port card
> (I've seen them at my wholesaler for less than $10.00).

        The second parallel port is in an add-in card. There is no reason
for it not to work (the speed would be different), but the symptoms are
the same with either port, even changing mode (Normal, EPP, ECP) of the on mobo one.

> Roxanne Pierce
> R2 Systems, San Diego
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
>
> On Thursday, March 05, 1998 11:57, [log in to unmask] [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> wrote:
> >         Hi.
> >         I have problems attaching a parallel port Zip to a new PC (MMX200
> >         with Zida (Tomato) mobo, with VIA 580 chipset). Tried two different
> > known to work Zips. Under the DOS prompt, GUEST recognizes rapidly
> > the Zip and assigns a letter, and the Zip can be read.
> >         But under W95, and after many reinstalls, even of W95, always errors:
> >         -Always, at boot, "Windows protection error. Initialize". The PC
> > stops boot.
> >         -When installing the W95 Zip software, blue screen when attaching
> >         PPA3.MPD.
> >         -If getting the Zip icon, with a good cartridge it suggests
> >         formatting.
> >         -The PC has two parallel ports; same effects on both. For the on mobo
> > port, all modes tried.
> >         -On Control Panel, you can adjust a few parameters for the SCSI
> >         interface
> > and the parallel port mode, but same effects.
> >         -Tried latest and not so late W95 Zip software.
> >         -Disabling the Zip interface in Control Panel, the PC boots and works
> > normally (without Zip).

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)