From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:09:21 +1000
"Joseph H. Bishop" wrote:

> Hi Joel,
> Welcome to the land of the "Big Boys" ,,, guess you can call it "Baptism
> by Fire"
> Many of the big manufacturers are deliberately engineering their systems
> for upgradability and compatibility "IF" they do the upgrade for you,,,,
> another sucker
> captured and held hostage by their service departments. Most buyers
> don't find this out until it is too late and they get burned

I've seen this problem with IBM computers, some of their hardware won't run
win98 because the special designed hardware and layout. However, if you are
lucky, they may release a patch or their win95 driver might work under
win98. Anyway, I don't see big difference between win98 and win98se, the
info I got from MS (Tech Net) shows tiny changes. The only thing may effect
hardware and compatibility is with win98se, "use DMA" for IDE devices is
disable by default, therefore, I believe it provides more compatibilities to
old hardware.

J Qian

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org