From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 06:43:31 -0700
Good day, I have been following this thread with interest as I have a HP855C
that had also developed paper pick up problems. I would have to push a page
into the feeder to get it to pick up. After seeing what people have
suggested to remedy this problem, and the "Brillo" item below, and the
previous "sand paper" solution, here is what I did. I took some 400 wet-dry
sand paper, pushed the manual feed button and allowed the rollers to be
scuffed, mindful to not allow the paper to be pulled into the innards. I did
this until I could see that the rollers had been buffed up a bit, by looking
at the wet or dry paper and the color of the rollers. I then used some
Windex on a shop towel, cloth, as suggested in my "Bigelow's Printer
Troubleshooting Pocket Reference" not alcohol, and cleaned the rollers.
Followed by a blast of canned air to get any grit that may have been left
behind. I then ran a couple of test pages to get any other crud off the
rollers. The old reliable, 5yrs, works like a champ again. Just thought I'd
pass this along.

Brad Loomis
Los Angeles, CA

Kathy said:

I have an old, but very reliable, 550C which has recently begun to have
problems. Your message reminded me about the kit HP sent me years ago - it
is a metal part with brillo pad like surface that the rollers run on. I put
in the floppy that came with it, ran it for the required 20 minutes, and the
printer is like new again!!

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html