From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:45:39 -0400
Sounds like you created a FAT 16 partition instead of FAT 32.  If you are
using a Win 98 startup disk to create partitions, it should ask you whether
you want to use large disk support, which is what you want to be able to
create a partition larger than 2 GB.  If you used a Win 95 startup disk, you
likely don't get this option, which might be why you ended up with FAT 16.

Use your Win98 startup disk, run fdisk, remove all the current partitions,
then use fdisk to create a new partition with the large drive support (FAT
32), and then run format.  This procedure will not preserve any data on your
disk, so only do this if you have nothing to lose on it.

John