From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 19:22:20 -0700
        Hello, I have to throw in my two cents on this topic. At this point in
time, I personally would not get a DVD of any type for a computer. If I want
to watch a DVD movie, I believe that a stand alone DVD player connected to
the ol home theater is a better option. As to data, granted DVD holds tons
more, but until there is a "Standard DVD-RW" format that has been in use and
proven to me, the only reason for it today as I see it is to be able to by
programs on 1DVD vs. several CDs. Until such a time that DVD-RW is
standardized and as ubiquitous as CD-RW, I'll stick to CD.
My opinion.
Brad Loomis

There are several proposals to increase the capacity of normal CD-ROMs
although none have seemed to take off yet.  Application of DVD is still
pretty limited and larger capacity is the primary draw for users.  This
larger capacity is mainly used for movies and special-purpose DVD
players seem to be a more cost-effective way of using movie DVDs than
computers.  What other application for computers would need DVD?  There
doesn't appear to be a definite answer for that yet.  This is the main
reason I suggest that people wait - see if DVDs are going to be more
widely used or if larger-capacity CD-ROM is the way to go.