From:
Douglas E Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:16:09 -0400
USB External speakers work by having a Digital To Audio Converter
(DAC) between the USB and the speaker.  The speaker either gets power
from the USB port or from an external power supply connected directly
to the speaker.  The program (or service) that sends signals to the
USB port is what generates the sound for the speaker.   Most speakers
do not use the sound card in the computer but generally send data
bits to the port.   If your headphones work, most likely the sound
card is OK.  Your speaker has the Cinema System for sound, and the
computer has the Realtek AC97 sound card which drives the headphones.

That said,  the usual problem with broken sound and garbled sound is
that the processor is too overloaded to keep feeding the data to the
USB port fast enough to have continuous sound.   Or something is
intercepting the sound data and delaying it getting to the USB port
fast enough.   Check the processes that are taking up a lot of
processor using the Task Manager and clicking on the CPU heading
twice to bring the big CPU users to the top.  If something unfamiliar
is taking up a lot of processor time, that may be a new process that
is slowing down the sound.

The other problem may be that your USB power source may not be
putting out the required 0.5 amp at 5 volts (Magic Jack degrading the
USB 5 volt power?).  That would also cause garbled sound on the
speaker.  If the speaker has options for an external power source,
you should try powering it that way.

Hope this gives you some other things to try.

Doug

                         support at our website:
                          http://freepctech.com