From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 20:10:31 -0700
For security, you are not so much looking at doing an erase as you are at
writing over the old data. Among others, Norton utilities includes a Wipe
Info program. The goal is to write a bunch of new patterns over the old
information. When you erase or partition a drive, you are only marking
boundaries or changing the directory sector information. The original data
is still on the sectors it was originally written to. If you were to delete
a partition and create a new one, it is still possible to reconstruct your
old partition and regain access to the original files! That is the reason
for programs like Wipe Info.

Hope this is of some help.

Peter
The NoSpin Group