Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:40:49 +1200
Thanks very much to all who've responded to my BUGS query.  I'm hoping this
problem may be solved by using another species of motherboard - it's
possible that the Shuttle MK20 boards didn't like, either the ATA133 drives,
or the AMD 1Ghz CPU's, or the PC133 SDRam, or a combination of the three.

I'll know as soon as I've solved this other little problem, which is
hampering the production of the 3 HDD's, a duplicating task I usually carry
out on my main AMD1800+ Win98SE machine.

Suddenly, some of my drives aren't being recognised in DOS.  This is kind of
strange, usually it's the Windows environment that throws up this sort of
hassle.  But not this time. And it's preventing me from using one drive as a
master, and Ghosting several others, as the Ghost process only seems to work
in DOS.

4 HDD's, 2 CD's, a ZIP and a floppy, they're all there in Windows.  But in
DOS, two of the HDD's refuse to be seen.

One, a 40Gb Maxtor, was Ghosted off it's identical predecessor, which used
to be DOS visible.

The other is a 20G Maxtor, which was fdisked and formatted in DOS just
yesterday.  Suddenly, it can't be seen either. While it's twin, another 20Gb
Maxtor, is clearly visible.

All are correctly jumpered.  The 40Gb is master to an old 8Gb Seagate,
(which can be seen in DOS) and the 20Gb Maxtor is slave to it's twin 20Gb
Maxtor (which can also be seen OK)

I've tried different IDE ports to no avail.

All suggestions will be very welcome.

TIA

Ian Porter
Computer Guys