Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:52:55 -0400
On 12 Oct 99, at 10:32, Changhsu P. Liu wrote:
> Thanks for the information. My drive is IDE drive, and I tried what
> you suggested. I inserted the disk when I chose to install other
> peripherals. It still didn't work. The message I got this time is:

I got this error initially as well when reinstalling to a new disk. I
think I must have pressed "enter" at the wrong time.
I tried again and all went well.

Make sure you follow the Microsoft directions exactly....

If you are using Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Server, or Terminal Server,
follow these instructions:

1. Download the updated Atapi.sys from Microsoft's FTP server

   ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-unsup-ed/fixes/nt40/atapi/ATAPI.EXE

   and copy the file to a blank floppy disk. Run Atapi.exe on the diskette
   and the new Atapi.sys file will be extracted to the diskette. Label the
   disk "Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver."

2. Boot from the three setup disks supplied with Windows NT Server.

3. When asked if you would like setup to detect your mass storage devices,
   press S so that detection is skipped and you specify a mass storage
   device.

4. When setup list devices found, which should list <none>, press S again
   and insert the Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver disk and press
   ENTER twice.

5. After setup reads the disk and list the Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4
   IDE driver, press ENTER to accept the driver.

6. Setup will now list Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver as an
   installed driver. If you have additional drivers for other mass storage
   devices, press S; if not, press ENTER to continue through setup.

7. Setup should continue through normally but, it will prompt you to insert
   the disk labeled "Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver Support
   Disk" at the copy phase after you have chosen or formatted a partition
   on a hard drive.

Gerard R Thomas
Port of Spain,  Trinidad and Tobago
mailto:[log in to unmask]  mailto:[log in to unmask]
PGP Key IDs: RSA:0x9DBCDE7D  DH/DSS:0xFF7155A2

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>