Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:14:47 -0700
I don't have any reference to cite, but here are my own views as an
electronics/computer engineer. You are correct in that the backlight is the
main concern. What I don't know is whether the low power mode that monitors
go into actually shuts off the lamp or not. If it does, then there is little
to be gained by turning off the power.

Now for my own policy. I don't make it a big deal to turn off the monitor
during the day when I am likely to be using the computer again soon. For the
night, however, I always turn off the monitor. Actually, I have a power
strip with a switch that I turn off. That way even the computer power is
completely removed. Just sharing my own approach.

Good luck in making a decision ;)

Peter Shkabara
760-451-1643