From:
Matthew Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:10:36 -0700
At 08:08 AM 7/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I think that is the correct model, it writes and rewrites at 4X and also
>reads at 20X.  I am confused about the correct media for this.  I haven't
>ordered it yet and have only messed with one other CDRW that was a
>2X2X6X.   I have heard that normal cheapo CDR's will not work with this
>burner due to it's speed.  Does this sound correct?  OR, if it does use
>CDR's  that can be written to at 4X speeds, is this one at least
>backwards compatible to the slower CDR's ???
>
>At the moment, it is a toss up between the Ricoh and the new Creative
>Labs 4224 that is now out.

I'm using the HP CD-Writer Plus 8200i (4424), and I've found that some
cheap disks will work at 4X speeds, and others that only work at 2X speeds,
and unless the disk says, there's no real way to tell without trying it.
As far as the ability for other drives to use the disks, it doesn't make a
difference what speed the disk was written at as far as other drives are
concerned.
Matthew Ballard

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org