From:
Alan Eugene Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:07:45 -0500
I hope this inquirey is not off topic for this list.  I am installing GNU/Linux on a new Gateway 450ROP that was given to me at work.

In order to install GNU/Linux, starting from Knoppix 3.4, I started by defragging XP's NTFS partition.  I would like to devote only the minimum amount of space to XP---perhaps 8 to 10 GB out of the c. 50MB HDD.  Curiously, when defragging, using XP's defrag, the graphical profile of disk space used was worse for me after defragging then before!  All files showed as in the lowest couple of GB before defragging: after defragging, however, a small stripe showed up at about 28GB from the beginning, meaning I cannot shrink the partition to smaller than that, using qtparted.

I understand that with older versions of Windoze (which I have not had to use for over 10 years, thankfully) it was necessary to find and move several hidden files in order to defrag successfully.  My question here has to be, are there such hidden files, and how to find them?

Thank you for maintaining this useful list,

Alan Davis
Kagman High School
Saipan