From:
Donald DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2012 07:44:09 -0400
Hello members,

I'm having problems with my old Dell 8400. At first I thought I had a virus
but scanning results were negative.  My slave drive holds all the important
stuff so there is not much on the C drive other than the operation system.
Thinking it may be a mechanical problem with the drive, I replaced it with
a new WD as I have done in the past but there is something going on here
that is strange. Trying to reinstall the operating system with the original
CD containing XP media center edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2, is where
the problem begins. The installation process goes through the formatting OK
and continues through most of everything else until a message reads that
there is maybe 29 or so minutes left to go and then it will freeze up and
sometimes give you a 0x00000050 error message. I replaced the ram and tried
several more times but with no success. I realize that it is an old machine
with an old operating system but I like it and it is easy to use. Is there
any thing I can try to do before I trash it?

Don DeWitt