From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:40:28 -0400
Physically, it has to do with the number of twists-per-foot for each
=pair= of wires.
Electrically, it means there is less signal "bleed-over" or induction
between the pairs.
Realistically, it doesn't do much for the average user

But it DOES standardize both the type and quality of the cable you are
buying.  The IEEE specification addressees the quality of the components
as well as the construction methods.

The IEEE is involved with setting standards and quality issues.  What a
cable maker does with pricing is a totally different issue.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====