From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:18:44 -0500
At 13:10 2/21/99 -0500, Robert L.Smith wrote:
>I don't know what the problem could be. I have a 4-position manual
>switch box with a Canon laser printer, a HP Deskjet, a scanner and
>a zip drive attached.  The only problem is when I need to use the
>scanner I have to switch the switch to the scanner setting and
>reboot the computer.

Hi Robert

The problem is that your computer doesn't know you have a scanner
installed if it doesn't detect it at boot...or maybe the system
doesn't initialize the drivers for the scanner in this case.

Something you might try is to go to Control Panel->System->Device
Manager and click on the Refresh button after you power up the scanner
and change the printer port switch to the scanner's position.

This used to work in Win95 to refresh my SCSI bus after I turned on my
SCSI scanner. (The scanner was often not turned on at boot.)

I haven't had occasion to do this since upgrading to Win98 (I leave the
scanner plugged into the same UPS as the computer and turn everything
off together) and I never tried it for multiple devices on one printer
port. But it's worth a try.

Regards,
Bill

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html