From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 10:12:28 -0600
At 03:19 PM 7/30/99 , Ian Newman wrote:
>Hi All
>I have an S3 Trio Virge/DX 4 mb pci video card which I replaced (or
>tried to) tonight with a Diamond Viper 770 AGP 32mb. The instructions
>said to change to standard VGA adapter before changing the card. I did
>that & rebooted & shut down as per the manual. I replaced the card but
>on start up the computer gave a few funny long & short beeps & as the
>auto start on the monitor didnt work I assumed that it was a no video
>warning. I replaced the card again with the S3 & all was OK. I read the
>Videocard & motherboard manuals & found in the bios that PCI was enabled
>& not AGP so I changed that, priding myself in my troubleshooting
>skills. I patted myself on the back too early. I  changed the card back
>& still the same. I currently have the PCI S3 & the Diamond installed in
>their respective slots with AGP enabled but the S3 pci is the only one
>that works. Am I missing something here. Specs are Gigabyte GA5ax rev
>4(Ali Aladdin V AGPset), AMD 233(soon K62450) 64 pc100 sdram, Win 95
>4.00.950 B. TIA  Ian

You may need to consider the worse case in this matter, that either
the AGP slot or your new card are bad.  That is always a possibility.

Did you enable the Use AGP video in your CMOS settings?
Is the AGP card set firmly into the slot?   Are the connectors on
the bottom of the card making a clean connection?  Typically, when
adding an AGP video card, you only need to insert it and boot the
computer.  Your version of Windows will not support multiple video
cards, so you cannot have both cards in the system.  Have you tried
upgrading the Bios?  You may need to visit Gigabyte's web site,
download the latest Bios and flash upgrade the board.   But, if all
this does not work, you may have a bad AGP slot or a bad video
card.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org